Mansfield Town 0 Chesterfield 1 – Spirietes end Stags’ JPT Dreams

Chesterfield booked their place in the Johnstone’s Paint Trophy Quarter Finals after a hard fought win over rivals Mansfield at the One Call Stadium.

Veteran Gary McSheffrey netted the Spirietes’ winner on 72 minutes, converting a Sam Hird cross, however the game was marred by an injury to Stags defender Richie Sutton who had to be stretchered off.

Paul Cox’s side headed into the game on the back of a 4-1 thumping by Hartlepool on Saturday and Chesterfield had suffered back to back defeats for the first time this season, losing 4-3 to Morecambe. This all made for a very intriguing East Midlands Derby.

It was the Stags who burst out of the blocks and almost took the lead within the opening 15 second. Calvin Andrew, who scored the winner in the league fixture two weeks ago, produced a clever flick from Murtagh’s pass which put Lee Stevenson straight through – but the midfielder’s angled effort across the six-yard box was hooked away by Ian Evatt.

Mansfield continued to boss possession in the opening stages, Stevenson again threatened, this time glazing a drive over the woodwork from the edge of the box.

However with just 8 minutes on the clock, Mansfield should have score. Sam Clucas’ gorgeous through ball released Stevenson, who was denied by a stunning Tommy Lee save one-on-one.

Paul Cook’s side seemed to lack fluidity in their approach play and neither Jay O’Shea or Porter could find the target, as the Spirietes were forced to shoot from distance.

Mansfield remained on the front-foot, Andrew should have done much better when he fired wide after latching onto Daniel’s long ball. Tempers began to flare before half-time however with Jamie Devitt receiving a yellow card for a foul on Sutton. Liam Cooper was also booked for a reckless tackle on Clucas.

Paul Cook was delighted with his team’s performance

After the break it was all Chesterfield. O’Shea’s inviting right-wing cross was bundled wide by Porter at the near-post and Porter then headed a Jimmy Ryan cross wide moments later.

Just past the hour it was the Stags who should have scored, Stevenson slipped a delightful reverse ball to put Daniel one-on-one, but the Spierites keeper Lee produced a sublime save to deflect Daniel’s effort wide.But on 72 minutes the deadlock was broken. Dempster, Marriott and Ritchie Sutton collided as they attempted to clear Hird’s cross; which left Gary McSheffrey in acres of space for a simple tap-in – sending the travelling Chesterfield fans into deliria.

In the midst of the celebrations, attention turned towards Sutton, who lay motionless on the turf after the collision. Sutton received lengthy treatment, both from physio Simon Murphy and then the paramedics. Following 10 minutes of treatment, with applause for both sets of fans, Sutton was carried away on a stretcher, with James Jennings replacing him.

The Stags braced themselves for 14 minutes of stoppage time and almost levelled when Howell’s close-range effort amidst a goalmouth scramble was deflected wide. Palmer also came close in the 13th minute of added time, when his strike inside the area was tipped over by Lee at full-stretch.

But the Spirietes held on for the victory, dumping Mansfield out of the Johnstone Paint Trophy and gaining revenge for the league defeat two weeks ago. Chesterfield join Notts County (who beat Wolves 3-1 on penalties) in the draw for the Quarter Finals on Saturday.

Amar Sharma

Written By