Did mum give you a useless jar of leftover Cranberry sauce from Easter? Not sure what to do with it? Tried it on toast and found it surprisingly tasty? Well don’t fear, because this month’s recipe will tell you exactly what you can do with cranberry sauce to make a delicious pork dish, plus cranberries are a natural source of antioxidants and can help with urine infections!
Sticky cranberry pork
Prep time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 25 mins
Difficulty level: MEDIUM
Health stats: Approx. 281 calories per serving
Cost per serving: £1.40 approx.
All prices taken from Tesco
Pork loin steaks
£4 approx. Or swap pork for turkey steaks for an even cheaper meal, cooking times vary on the meat you use.
2 red onions, cut into wedges
18p (loose, per onion)
400ml of chicken stock / stock cubes
65p for 10 Tesco cubes, approx. 4 cubes needed
4 tablespoons (tbsp.) cranberry sauce
Use leftovers or buy new 50p – £1.50
1 tbsp. honey (optional)
1 tbsp. plain flour
Olive or vegetable oil
1. Put flour into a bowl and season well with salt and pepper and also heat olive or vegetable oil in a pan.
2. Drop one pork loin steak into the flour and turn it over, allowing it to get a good dusting of flour on each side, this well prevent it burning.
3. Cook the pork in the hot pan for around 3-4 minutes, until it is brown and cooked all the way through to the middle, when this is done, set it aside on a plate.
4. Prepare stock by adding water to the amount of cubes you require, and put to the side.
5. With the pan still on and hot, add the wedges of red onion and fry them until soft. When they turn golden add in the stock to the pan, stir in the cranberry sauce and honey (if required) and leave to simmer for 10 mins.
6. After 10 mins, add the pork that you took out earlier into the pan and cook gently for a couple of minutes to allow the juices to soak in.
7. Serve the pork steaks with the sauce. To boost your dish, add a choice of jacket or mashed potatoes and some vegetables of your choice.
My suggestion is that you serve generously with a baked potato and roasted Mediterranean vegetables.